I always try to buy my meat direct from the farmers, or at worst, my local butcher, but to get everyday essentials I do a weekly shop at a "normal" supermarket.
Ocado was founded in 2000 and by 2015 was exceeding £1billion in annual sales - that's some growth in 15 years!
One of my main reasons for using Ocado is that I buy as much organic produce as possible, and they stock a great variety.
The food has always been consistent in the 3 years I've been using them, and the delivery has always been in the hour I booked.
But, is Ocado any better than the other supermarkets?
A question I've really struggled to answer without spending hours upon hours trying to work out what each supermarket's PR actually means!
So, some facts I've found about Ocado which really helped me to make the decision to buy from them, rather than other supermarkets:
- Their Customer Fulfilment Centre in Wiltshire is automated. Take a look on youtube, it's an outstanding piece of tech.
- This tech means that food can arrive in the Customer Fulfilment Centre and be delivered within 5 hours.
- Over £500,000 worth of food has been donated to charities & food centres between December 2014 and November 2017.
- A portion of the edible surplus is also donated to local zoos and wildlife parks.
- Ocado are part of the Carbon Trust - they've improved their carbon omissions by 27% since 2012/13 despite their growth.
- 87% of carrier bags are returned as part of their recycling programme.
- They are involved with children's education programmes and the Road Victims Trust alongside many other initiatives.
- 70% of their suppliers are micro businesses and small to medium sized enterprises (SMEs).
- Ocado dedicate 2 full-time staff to supporting these micro businesses and SMEs.
- Near out of date produce gets sold at a substantial discount to Company Shop and Community Shop.
- Ocado have a strict Responsible Sourcing Code and ask all supplies to be part of SEDEC (Suppliers Ethical Data Exchange).
So for me, out of all the supermarkets, Ocado comes out on top for my needs.
Let me know who you shop with in the comments :)